By Simon Jackson
Triolo D’Alene is taken to benefit from his experience of the fences and land the £1million Crabbie’s Grand National at odds of 16-1 (Paddy Power) at Aintree on Saturday.
The Nicky Henderson-trained seven-year-old landed the two miles and five and a half furlong Topham Stakes over the Grand National fences last year and while unproven over the longer Grand National distance, is fancied to prevail.
The National has long been the target for the winner of six of his 16 starts. These victories include an impressive win in the Hennessy Gold Cup at Newbury last November, where Henderson revealed that winning jockey Barry Geraghty was already eyeing the National.
“He is a lovely horse with a lovely attitude and Barry has been begging me all year to mind him for the Grand National,” Henderson said immediately after the victory. “But the Hennessy is very special and we will be delighted to take that home with us tonight and we’ll think about the National later on.”
The success impressed Geraghty. “I was always travelling well,” he said. “As you saw [in the Topham Chase] at Aintree, he can put down at a few fences but he always gets great height and is able to fill his lungs when he does it.”
The biggest danger may well be 14-1 shot Double Seven who will be suited by the ground – that is currently good to soft, good in places – and will also benefit from the services of champion jockey Tony McCoy.
The winner of five of his last six starts is reported to be in top form by his trainer Martin Brassil, who won the National in 2006 with Numbersixvalverde.
“He’s in really good form, eating great and in a great frame of mind,” the trainer said.
The betting for the four miles and three and a half furlongs contest is headed by Teaforthree (9-1) who finished third in this race last year and can fill a similar position on Saturday.
Another fancied to finish in the money is Monbeg Dude. The Welsh National winner is owned by England International Mike Tindall, whose wife Zara Phillips has been instrumental in the preparation. The Royal connection is sure to make the 12-1 shot popular with punters.
The dual King George VI Chase and Cheltenham Gold Cup winner, Long Run, can fill a minor placing at 12-1, as can Balthazar King at 18-1.
The Crabbie’s Grand National
Class 1, Grade 3, £1,000,000 Total Prize Fund. 4.15pm, Aintree, Saturday, April 5, 2014. Four miles, three and a half furlongs.
Form Horse Age/Wgt Owner Trainer/Jockey
1) 21-1532 TIDAL BAY (IRE) 13-11-10 Andrea & Graham Wylie Paul Nicholls/Sam Twiston-Davies
2) 32-54U1 LONG RUN (FR) c/p 9-11-09 Robert Waley-Cohen Nicky Henderson/Mr Sam Waley-Cohen
3) 606034 HUNT BALL (IRE) 9-11-07 Atlantic Equine Nicky Henderson/Andrew Tinkler
4) 01-1310 TRIOLO D’ALENE (FR) 7-11-06 Sandy & Caroline Orr Nicky Henderson/Barry Geraghty
5) 1113-22 ROCKY CREEK (IRE) 8-11-05 The Johnson & Stewart Families Paul Nicholls/Noel Fehily
6) 5-F405P QUITO DE LA ROQUE (FR) c/p 10-11-01 Gigginstown House Stud Colm Murphy IRE/Brian O’Connell
7) U-03U0F COLBERT STATION (IRE) t 10-11-00 J P McManus Ted Walsh IRE/Mark Walsh
8) 2P52-U4 WALKON (FR) c/p 9-11-00 McNeill Family Alan King/Wayne Hutchinson
9) 0P-1111 BALTHAZAR KING (IRE) 10-10-13 The Brushmakers Philip Hobbs/Richard Johnson
10) 06-52P0 WAYWARD PRINCE t 10-10-13 John & Hilary Parrott Hilary Parrott/Jack Doyle
11) 503112 MR MOONSHINE (IRE) 10-10-12 Douglas Pryde, Jim Beaumont & David van der Hoeven Sue Smith/Ryan Mania
12) 203-020 TEAFORTHREE (IRE) 10-10-12 Conyers, O’Reilly, Roddis, Zeffman Rebecca Curtis/Nick Scholfield
13) 10-501U ACROSS THE BAY (IRE) bl t 10-10-11 Scotch Piper Syndicate Donald McCain/Henry Brooke
14) 111116 DOUBLE SEVEN (IRE) t c/p 8-10-11 J P McManus Martin Brassil IRE/ A P McCoy
15) 11-1PRP BATTLE GROUP c/p 9-10-10 Jolly Boys Outing Johnny Farrelly/Brendan Powell
16) 5-05103 BUCKERS BRIDGE (IRE) 8-10-10 Ann & Alan Potts Partnership Henry de Bromhead IRE/Andrew Lynch
17) PP-5014 LION NA BEARNAI (IRE) 12-10-10 The Lock Syndicate Tom Gibney IRE/Davy Russell
18) 12-3004 PRINCE DE BEAUCHENE (FR) 11-10-10 Andrea & Graham Wylie Willie Mullins IRE/Paul Townend
19) 3P-3415 MONBEG DUDE (IRE) 9-10-09 Oydunow Michael Scudamore/Paul Carberry
20) 0211-23 BIG SHU (IRE) t 9-10-08 Hugh Duffy/Richard Robinson/Caroline Woods Peter Maher IRE/Peter Buchanan
21) 500P02 BURTON PORT (IRE) t c/p 10-10-08 Trevor Hemmings Jonjo O’Neill/Brian Harding
22) 124-050 OUR FATHER (IRE) bl 8-10-08 The Ives & Johnson Families David Pipe/Denis O’Regan
23) 41-3315 MOUNTAINOUS (IRE) 9-10-07 Walters Plant Hire & James & Jean Potter Richard Lee/Jamie Moore
24) 4UP-261 THE RAINBOW HUNTER 10-10-07 May We Never Be Found Out Partnership Kim Bailey/Aidan Coleman
25) P-1262F VINTAGE STAR (IRE) 8-10-07 Trevor Hemmings Sue Smith/Brian Hughes
26) 400-1P4 CHANCE DU ROY (FR) c/p 10-10-06 Daphne Du Pre Philip Hobbs/Tom O’Brien
27) 12P-426 HAWKES POINT 9-10-06 Graham Roach Paul Nicholls/Ryan Mahon
28) 441103 KRUZHLININ (GER) 7-10-06 Paul & Clare Rooney Donald McCain/Wilson Renwick
29) 5F2013 PINEAU DE RE (FR) 11-10-06 J A Provan Dr Richard Newland/Leighton Aspell
30) R03/3-U1 GOLAN WAY 10-10-05 W R B Racing 58 Tim Vaughan/Michael Byrne
31) 25010U TWIRLING MAGNET (IRE) t c/p 8-10-05 Gay Smith Jonjo O’Neill/Richie McLernon
32) 302-FU0 VESPER BELL (IRE) 8-10-05 Susannah Ricci Willie Mullins IRE/Mikey Fogarty
33) 4/14PP-3 THE PACKAGE t c/p 11-10-04 The Johnson Family David Pipe/Tom Scudamore
34) 11-P0P3 RAZ DE MAREE (FR) v 9-10-03 James Swan Dessie Hughes IRE/Davy Condon
35) 114P-01 ROSE OF THE MOON (IRE) c/p 9-10-03 Middleham Park Racing XXXIII & Partners David O’Meara/Jake Greenall
36) 220/-6P0 SHAKALAKABOOMBOOM (IRE) c/p 10-10-03 Liam Breslin Nicky Henderson/David Bass
37) 6R3-51P ALVARADO (IRE) 9-10-02 William & Angela Rucker Fergal O’Brien/Paul Moloney
38) 433-000 LAST TIME D’ALBAIN (FR) 10-10-02 Fontstown Syndicate Liam Cusack IRE/Robbie Colgan
39) F3P465 ONE IN A MILAN (IRE) v 9-10-02 Paul Langford Evan Williams/Adam Wedge
40) 4406-50 SWING BILL (FR) 13-10-01 Halewood International Ltd David Pipe/Conor O’Farrell
Read Horse Talk with Simon Jackson each day at London24 for the latest horse racing news.